1.15.2008

The shit has hit the fan

What a great way to meet the neighbors.  Last night, after retiring to my room for the evening, sounds of tires squealing right outside my window fill the air.  I quickly make my way to the living room to ask Nathan if he heard it because it sounded like a crash after the squeal.  He said yes and I returned to my room.  No more than ten seconds after sitting back down at my computer BAM BAM BAM.  Natural reaction, duck.  Hit the floor.  Kiss the hardwood.  However you want to put it, do it.  I run back out to the living room where Nathan is on the balls of his feet, both of us wondering what we should do.  Do we call the cops?  Would they even care or just welcome us to Los Angeles?  My phone rings.  It's Dan from next door.  Yeah Dan, we heard it too.  Nathan and I are immediately and carefully looking out the window for any sign of activity, fleeing, bleeding, etc.

For whatever reason, we decide to walk out on our balcony to get a better view or to get shot I'm not sure which one.  Within three minutes a spotlight from a police helicopter is directly on our building.  A few minutes later brings a cop car and we are down on the street answering questions.  Soon we are surrounded by several cop cars and a dozen officers combing the street for shell casings.  This was no little 9mm.  This was at least a .45.  After a good forty-five minutes later and the whole thing is over.  The police gathered that the house behind us was shot at.  Eyewitness accounts report that a car left their driveway and was shot at by another car.  Apparently a lot of people that use to live in our building before us were part of a gang that is in a tag war with another near by gang, thus explaining all the spray paint that has been adorning our building lately.  Great news to hear after signing a lease.

I have never slept closer to my mattress.  It was very uncomfortable laying that flat and tense.  I woke up at the slightest noise.  My window is about eight feet away from their driveway.  I heard a car return at some point very late and about pissed myself.  I don't think we are in any danger.  I just hope there isn't a backlash and things just keep cool.

Oh, and don't tell mom.  I don't want her to worry.

No comments: